Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Desert Ducks

black-necked stilts
I went to the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert, Arizona this afternoon to check out the waterfowl and perhaps take some pictures. The preserve has 8 ponds total and a plethora of ducks (at least today). I started out on the western side and there were quite a few people and what looked like domestic ducks in the first lake. I scooted over to the eastern side and found ducks and some wading birds. The photo on the right is a group of Black-necked stilts.


Great  Blue Heron

Took over 100 shots, but most of them were blurry. I've only taken pictures of birds that aren't afraid of people so this was a new experience for me. 

The picture on the left is a Great Blue Heron. I took a little artistic licence with this photo. It needed cropping and some exposure compensation. The original contains a lot more water and is a stop darker. 

There were a few species of ducks opposite the pond where the stilts, heron and a great egret were hanging out. These included Northern Pintails, Mallards, I think Northern Shovelers, Green Winged Teals, and some others. Northern Pintails are probably my favorite duck, and I got a recognizable shot of one. 

Northern Pintail

No comments: